Monday, March 19, 2012

Cake fail and hummus is yummus

I feel obligated to tell you that my third wedding cake trial was not good.  After hours and hours of work, Martha failed me.
It looked very promising, but did not deliver on taste at all.  I believe the words out of my mouth were "screw this, give me some chocolate"
problem solved
So instead of cake tonight, you are getting more lunch/dinner recipes.  

I was at school late tonight so I needed something quick when I got home (read - iwassostarvingiwantedtoknawmyarmoff).  I called Josh and asked him to start cooking some bacon.  I found this really great natural bacon at the grocery store with no added nitrates or nitrites and thought I would pick it up for a treat.  I came home to this.
Apparently the secret to cooking bacon is to do it low and slow.

While that was cooking, I whipped up a quick batch of better than store-bought hummus.

Ingredients

  • 1 can rinsed and drained chickpeas
  • 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/8 c lemon juice
  • 1/8 c olive oil
  • 1/4 t sea salt (or more to taste)
  • 1/4 t cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 t dried parsley


Directions
-Blend rinsed and drained chickpeas in food processor until roughly processed.
-Add lemon juice and run again for a minute until combined, it will look like dough at this point
-While running, stream in olive oil.  This helps "whip" it and create a smooth creamy texture
light and fluffy!
-Now add your garlic and spices, process for an additional minute or 2 until everything is combined.  Taste, and add additional seasonings if necessary.  You can add more lemon juice or EVOO at this point if you want it runnier.
-Perfecto! Enjoy with pita chips, veggies, as a sandwich spread, or with a spoon.


For the rest of our dinner, I toasted some bread and created fancy BLTs.  I sliced some avocados, slathered the bread with avocados and added the B, L, and T.  They were fast and delicious.

And PS - 
if anyone wants to get me this shirt I would love you forever
(via Etsy)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

What's Annie Making?: Cake fail and hummus is yummus

This page has moved to a new address.

Cake fail and hummus is yummus