Saturday, March 17, 2012

Green thumb and spicy breakfasts

Today is St. Patrick's Day.  I'm Irish. And it's Saturday.  Yet the greenest thing that I did today was buy some plants and seeds at Lowe's for the garden.  Oh, I and I wore a green shirt.  I was planning on making a green breakfast; then I was inspired by our upcoming trip to Mexico and decided breakfast burritos sounded better.  The rest of the day was spent shopping at the outlet mall (where I did buy a green sweater) and at Lowe's where we dreamed about what our future garden will look like.  So far there are a lot of vegetables involved (some of which are green), and a few flowers too.  Let's hope this year is better than last year's garden where the squirrels and raccoons ravaged my plants right after they started sprouting.  Side note - squirrels terrify me.  That's a story for another day.

Anyhow, breakfast this morning was good and spicy.  After eating oatmeal every day this week, I was craving something a little different.  My good friend Carolyn gave me this lovely little gem from Penzey's spices for my bridal shower last week, and this breakfast was born.
Breakfast Burritos

Ingredients (makes 2 burritos)

  • 4 eggs
  • 3 T milk
  • 1/2 t sea salt
  • 1 red or yellow bell pepper (I had mini peppers that I bought on sale this week)
  • 1 t spicy seasoned sea salt (or 3/4 t sea salt and 1/4 t cayenne pepper)
  • 1/2 t hot chili powder
  • 2 tortillas
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  • sour cream/plain greek yogurt
  • 4 baby potatoes (pre cooked) - optional***
***Note: I had a few leftover grilled potatoes from dinner the other night in the fridge so I just chopped those up and used them.  I really liked the potatoes, but you could also use black beans if you didn't have potatoes on hand


Directions
-Heat medium skillet on med-high heat, spray with cooking spray
-Chop peppers roughly

-Put peppers in skillet
-Add spices(4S and chili powder), cook for 5-6 minutes until slightly softened
-Add potatoes to skillet and cook 2-3 more minutes until heated through
-Meanwhile, scramble eggs in a small bowl with milk and sea salt

-Remove potatoes and peppers from the skillet
-Add eggs to the same skillet you were just using and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently
-Once the eggs are cooked, heat a tortilla in the microwave for 10 seconds
-Put 1/2 of eggs down the middle, and 1/2 pepper mixture, add shredded cheese
-Microwave for 20 more seconds to melt the cheese
-Add a dollop of sour cream and wrap it up tightly
I will definitely be making these again.  I might even add a little hot sauce for some real kick.

No green in here at all.  Whoops!

Question of the day:

How did you celebrate St. Patrick's Day today?



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

What's Annie Making?: Green thumb and spicy breakfasts

This page has moved to a new address.

Green thumb and spicy breakfasts