Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Spicy Vegetable Curry

Hey all!  Sorry I have been MIA the past few days.  I was busy back home where my family and friends threw me 2 bridal showers!!!  I had such a wonderful time.  I loved seeing people that I hadn't seen in a long time, and I am even more excited (if that's even possible) for the wedding.  Yesterday after my dad put together the puzzle put all of the presents in my car I hit the road.  I feel so loved and blessed right now.
With my beautiful momma, and sister
In other news, its supposed to be over 70 here all week!!!!  Hello spring :)  Hello running in shorts and a t shirt.  Goodbye heavy winter coat and boots.  Still, I have a somewhat wintery recipe for you today.  I saw this recipe the other day on Better Homes and Gardens.  The day I wanted to make it I didn't have 7 hours (or even 3 1/2) to wait for the crock pot.  So I changed a few things up and made it in an hour.  This curry warms you right up.  And judging by the fact that this is the midwest (bipolar weather) we will probably need some warming up yet this spring.


Ingredients

  • 1 T olive oil
  • 4 carrots - chopped
  • 1 yellow onion - chopped roughly
  • 4 cloves garlic - minced or pressed
  • 1 medium sweet potato - chopped 
  • 2 small potatoes - chopped
  • 1 can garbanzo beans - rinsed and drained
  • 1 vegetable bouillon cube + 2 c hot water (chicken would work too)
  • 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes 
  • 1 1/2  t yellow curry powder
  • 1 t sea salt
  • 1 t coriander
  • 1/2 t red pepper flakes (adjust depending how much heat you like, this was pretty spicy)
  • 1/4 t cinnamon
  • 1 t arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
  • plain greek yogurt
  • cooked rice or quinoa 


Directions
-Heat olive oil in dutch oven over medium high heat
-Add onions, cook 3-4 minutes until they are translucent, stirring frequently

-Add minced garlic, cook 1-2 minutes until fragrant (don't burn this!)
-Add carrots, sweet potato and potatoes - cook 7-8 minutes until they start to get tender
-Add in the rest of the ingredients (through cinnamon)
-Stir until combined, then cover and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until vegetables are softened
-Add in arrowroot powder or cornstarch, cook 3-4 minutes more until sauce starts to thicken slightly
-Serve in bowls over hot rice/quinoa, with a dollop of greek yogurt
Josh gives it 2 thumbs up!
This would awesome with a side of homemade pita bread.  It is pretty spicy so be careful.  

Question of the day: 
What's your favorite spring time activity?

What is your favorite gift from your wedding/shower?







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

What's Annie Making?: Spicy Vegetable Curry

This page has moved to a new address.

Spicy Vegetable Curry