Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Mango 'nana white chocolate breakfast bars

Breakfast is an ongoing issue in my house.  It's not that I don't like breakfast foods, I just don't generally have time to prepare and sit down to eat a meal.  It's usually consumed as I'm straightening my hair, applying mascara, or while driving to school (I'm a good driver, don't worry).  The fact is, there just aren't enough hours in the day to be a grad student, get a good night's sleep, and sit down for 3 meals.  Multi tasking people.  That's where it's at.

To remedy this issue (and prevent myself from eating cold pizza in the car) I've started making things in the beginning of the week that I can grab and go for the next few days.  Usually it's something like granola bars, muffins, quick bread, or scrambled egg "muffins".  I live for the weekends when I can make a pot of steel cut oats, or pancakes. 

Last night as I pulled out my ingredients to make granola bars I decided to try something new.  I'm all about my usual peanut butter, pumpkin, cinnamon or chocolate, but buried in my fruit drawer I saw a mango.  Could I put mango in granola bars?  You bet your bottom I could!  These granola bars are absolutely divine.  The whole grains, protein and healthy fats will keep you full for at least a few hours - which is key for me!  They also make a great snack.

Mango 'nana white chocolate breakfast bars

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 c rolled oats
  • 1/2 c spelt flour (or any flour of your choice - but spelt is great!)
  • 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1 T chia seeds
  • 1 scoop (1/8 c) vanilla protein powder
  • 1 banana (mashed)
  • 1/2  vanilla extract
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1/2 c milk
  • 1 mango, cut into small bite size pieces
  • 1/3 c white chocolate chips


Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Mix dry ingredients (oats through protein powder) in a large bowl
  • Mix wet ingredients (banana through milk) in a small bowl
  • Add wet to dry and mix well.  I used a wooden spoon.  It takes a little muscle to get everything incorporated, but you want a very thick batter to make the granola bars. 
  • Stir in mango chunks and white chocolate
  • Spread into 8x8 inch pan that's been sprayed with non stick cooking spray
  • Bake 20 minutes
  • Cool, and cut into 9 squares


This spur of the moment baking adventure turned into the best "run out the door" breakfast I've had in a long time.  If you like coconut (I don't, sorry) that would probably be a good addition to these bars.  If you don't they are perfect as is.  Enjoy with your very large thermos of coffee!

Question of the day -


What's your favorite breakfast on the go?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

What's Annie Making?: Mango 'nana white chocolate breakfast bars

This page has moved to a new address.

Mango 'nana white chocolate breakfast bars