Monday, March 26, 2012

running ruts and the perfect [wedding] chocolate cake - Part 1B

Happy Monday!  I hope you had a good start to your week.  So far, my day has been pretty great, including finally feeling like I'm getting out of a running rut.  A few months ago I started a pretty intense weight lifting program.  I normally like lifting weights, so I thought this trainer would be a good way for me to increase my strength and give my legs a rest from the treadmill.  I love running outside, but I tend to get really bored running in place for more than 20 minutes.  Well, after finishing my strength program, I did feel stronger, but I was longing for a good long run.  The thing is, my legs didn't want to run as much as my brain did.  I felt slow and tired.  My endurance was basically shot.  So, I've been plugging along for the past 2 weeks, hoping that my legs would eventually remember how to move quicker.  Last week I started something new.  I would run my slow short run, as far as I thought I could go, stop and walk for 5 minutes, and then push myself to run 1 more mile at a fast pace.  The first time I did this I thought I might die, but each time I did it it got easier to run that last extra mile.  And then today, I didn't have to stop.  My legs didn't feel heavy, they wanted to keep going the whole time!  I'm not a fitness expert.  I don't know exactly what happened, but it worked.  Yay!

And on that note - here is a kick butt chocolate cake recipe.  This is the moistest chocolate cake ever.  I made a mocha filling for it, and covered it in chocolate buttercream.  The best part (besides the fact that it is a definite wedding cake contender), is that it's so easy!  You can make the cake in 1 bowl.  The filling is a little fancier, but still super doable.  This cake would be perfect for your sister's birthday, it would be divine for an early summer picnic, and it would totally cure any chocolate craving you are having.
Perfect Chocolate Cake
(adapted from a Hershey's chocolate cake recipe that I have written down from my mom - #olderthandirt )

Ingredients
  • 1 c white sugar
  • 1 c brown sugar
  • 1 3/4 c AP flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1 1/2 t baking soda
  • 3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 t instant coffee granules
  • 1 t sea salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c milk
  • 1 c boiling water
  • 1/2 c canola oil
  • 2 t vanilla extract


Directions
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and prepare cake pans.  I use 2 8 inch rounds, sprayed, parchment, and sprayed again.
-Mix together dry ingredients (everything through sea salt) in large bowl
kitchen aid totally not necessary - you can make this cake by hand with a fork
-Add the wet ingredients (everything else) and stir until everything is well incorporated.  This batter will be very runny.  It's okay.
-Pour batter into prepared rounds and bake 30 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean)
how easy was that!?!?!
-Remove from oven and let cool in pans 10 minutes before carefully removing and placing on cooling racks.  The cake is not extremely sturdy, so you want to be careful when you flip your pan over so the cake doesn't crack.


If you make the cake in advance, wrap it in saran wrap and put it in the fridge or freezer for up to 1 week.

Stay tuned to part 2 - and my wedding cake decision!!!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At March 26, 2012 at 8:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I SO hear you on the can't-stand-running-on-a-dreadmill thing! I would much rather hit the pavement or a local trail any day! I'm glad that you are out of your running rut girl! And talk about kick-butt cake! Seriously, yum. Do you have any frosting tipitos? I always get chunks and crumbs of cake that come off as I frost and it ends up looking like a hot mess. A tasty, but nonetheless hot mess lol.

 
At March 27, 2012 at 8:17 PM , Blogger What's Annie Making? said...

Haha, yeah the frosting crumbs are always a problem. I posted some tips today in the second half of this cake recipe.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

What's Annie Making?: running ruts and the perfect [wedding] chocolate cake - Part 1B

This page has moved to a new address.

running ruts and the perfect [wedding] chocolate cake - Part 1B