Saturday, April 14, 2012

If It Isn't Broke...

Happy Saturday morning!  It's a little gloomy here today, but it's the weekend so I'll take it.  Last night in true grandma fashion, I stayed in and deep cleaned the house from head to toe.  What a thrilling Friday night, let me tell you.  We forewent our usual date night because we have big plans with some friends tonight to check out some local dive taco joints.  Ole!

Anyhow, after I had my kitchen cleaned, I decided to make it dirty again by baking some banana bread.  My mom always made the best banana bread growing up.  It was moist and delicious, and perfect warmed up with a little pat of butter in the middle.  It always got better the second day too.  Since I've been out on my own I've searched high and low for a recipe that could recreate my mom's banana bread magic, only to always come up short.

My problem (I think) is that I was always going to super healthy or exotic recipes.  Almond flax banana bread is wonderful, but it's not mom's.  There is a time and a place for those things too, but some days you just need a little comfort.  So I decided recently I would try to find a good "base" recipe that I loved, and then I could adjust a few things myself down the road to make it healthier if I wanted to.

Well last night as I was organizing my closet I came upon this gem circa 1994.
it's the 11th edition - fyi
In it, is a classic banana bread recipe that looked too simple not to try.  Lo and behold, it came out perfect!!!  It's moist and banana-y, and super easy to throw together.  I'm pretty sure you have everything you need in your pantry already too.  Score!  

reminds me of home Banana Bread
from Better Homes and Gardens

Ingredients -
  • 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 t baking powder
  • 1/4 t baking soda
  • 1/4 t ground cinnamon
  • 1 egg
  • 3 mashed bananas
  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 1/4 c canola oil
  • 1/2 c choc chips (my addition)
Directions -

-spray bread pan with cooking spray
-preheat oven to 350 degrees
-combine dry ingredients (through cinnamon) in a medium sized mixing bowl
-mash bananas in another mixing bowl, add egg, sugar, and oil - stir to combine
-add wet to dry and stir until just moistened
-stir in choc chips
-spread in bread pan - bake 50-55 minutes until top is golden brown

As Mary Poppins would say - this is practically perfect in every way.  It's so wonderful that I am tempted to never mess with the recipe, but knowing me, I will.  And you will see lots more crazy variations of this bread.  Enjoy!

Question of the day -


What's your favorite thing to make that reminds you of home?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At April 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I LOVE me some banana bread! I still to this day tease my poor mom about her infamous 'banana brick'. When I was about 6 years old, I requested banana bread for breakfast for my class treat and what came out of the oven looked like banana bread, smelled like banana bread but sadly was rock. hard. Hence the creation of the 'banana brick' lol. Something that I love to make that reminds me of home is my mom's amazing homemade chicken noodle soup and honey bisquits. She may not have quite nailed the whole banana bread thing but man oh man were her soup and bisquits to die for! I love how the certain smells and tastes of delicious foods can take you back to a time and place, a memory :)

 
At April 14, 2012 at 11:19 PM , Blogger Christine's Pantry said...

Great recipe. Love it.

 
At April 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM , Blogger What's Annie Making? said...

Oh how funny! A banana brick!!! I've had quite a few kitchen flops in the past few years too. I just always make sure I taste things before I serve them to anyone else. Now you're making me want chicken soup too!!!

 
At April 15, 2012 at 11:23 AM , Blogger What's Annie Making? said...

Thanks so much Christine! It was so delicious that we finished the whole loaf already. I'll have to make some more soon.

 
At May 7, 2012 at 10:59 PM , Anonymous Richa said...

wow, looks delicious definitely trying this. I add applesauce to mine to make it moist. Chocolate chips is a great idea, cant wait to see my kids reaction :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

What's Annie Making?: If It Isn't Broke...

This page has moved to a new address.

If It Isn't Broke...