Friday, April 20, 2012

Penne Rosa and hangry monsters

Last weekend when Josh and I were out running errands we needed to stop somewhere quick for lunch.  Like neeeeeded to - stat - or the "hangry monster" was going to come out.  Believe me, you do not want to meet the hangry monster.  She's not pretty.  And she definitely does not act like a 25 year old.  Picture a whiny toddler getting dragged around shopping, begging to go home.  Yeah... not exactly my proudest moments, but I swear she's a completely different person.  Uncontrollable.
source
Anyhow, I could feel the hangry monster peeking to come out so we knew it was time to stop for lunch.  (Yes, Josh is now fairly good at recognizing when the hangry monster is coming out).  Normally at times like these we hit up my new-found favorite Which Wich, the black bean burger is phenomenal!

This time though, Josh said he wanted to go somewhere else.  Noodles and Co. was close by so we decided to hit it up.  I hadn't been to Noodles for a few years.  I used to go with friends in college and I always got the mac n' cheese, or the pesto cavatappi.  Both were great classic choices.  Imagine my surprise then when I walked in and there were all sorts of new things on the menu.  Things like Truffle Mac and Flatbread Sandwiches.  I decided to go with the Veggie Med sandwich which was a great choice.  Josh went with the classic Penne Rosa.  I had never actually tried it before and when he couldn't stop shoveling it in his mouth I decided I needed to snag a bite.  OMG - it was so good!  Tomatoes, and cream, and garlic, and mushrooms, and a little spice.  I'm pretty sure I yelled, "I need to try to make this at home!" so loudly that everyone in the place heard me.
feta makes it betta
So here it is.  Penne Rosa at home.  This meal was so quick and easy.  Perfect for a weeknight dinner.

Penne Rosa
Ingredients - (serves 4)

  • 3 c dried penne pasta
  • 2 t olive oil
  • 1/4 chopped yellow onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 1 c sliced button mushrooms
  • 1/3 chopped zucchini
  • 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
  • 5 kalamata olives, chopped
  • 1 handful spinach
  • 1/4 t red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 t sea salt
  • 1 c tomato sauce
  • 1/3 c light alfredo sauce
  • sprinkle of feta cheese
Directions -


-Boil water for pasta, cook until al dente
-Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat
-Saute onion 3-4 minutes until translucent
-Add garlic, saute 30 sec - 1 min until garlic is fragrant
-Add zucchini, mushrooms, olives, salt and red pepper flakes, saute 4-5 minutes until cooked through
-Add cherry tomatoes and sauces

-Add spinach, cook 1 minute until just wilted
-Stir in cooked pasta
-Dish up, and sprinkle with feta

The hangry monster has been tamed.  Let's go shopping

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

What's Annie Making?: Penne Rosa and hangry monsters

This page has moved to a new address.

Penne Rosa and hangry monsters