Saturday, April 21, 2012

Chickpea Shawarma Salad

I made you some shawarma.  Every time I think that word I say it really slow in my head, "sha-war-ma".  It sounds so silly.  But it sure is delicious.  I really wanted to make this curry-filled chicken dish this week, there was just 1 problem.  No chicken.

Chicken is a special thing in our house.  I tend to eat a mostly vegetarian diet for health reasons, ethical reasons, and money reasons.  When I do buy meat, I buy good organic, free range, hormone free stuff.  I have no desire to fill my body with chemicals if I have the choice.  This week, "happy chicken" was definitely not on sale.  In fact, it was $10 a pound!  That's crazy talk.

Fortunately for me, the canned beans are located close to the meat department.  And it was in that aisle that this dinner was born.  I promise you we did not miss the chicken one bit.  Plus, chickpeas were on sale for $0.89 a can!  That's a savings of $9.11!!!!  Winner winner chickpea dinner.

Chickpea Shawarma Salad


Ingredients -


(for the shawarma)

  • 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1 t yellow curry powder
  • 2 t evoo
  • 3/4 t salt
  • 2 T lemon juice
  • 1/2 t garlic powder
  • 2 t minced garlic
(for the cucumber sauce)

  • 1 container plain greek yogurt
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/3 cucumber
  • 1/4 t salt
(other ingredients)

  • fresh spinach
  • cherry tomatoes
  • cucumber
  • feta cheese
  • pita bread
  • fresh cilantro (optional)
Directions - 
-Pour shawarma ingredients into a medium sized bowl
-Let sit 20 minutes-1 hour marinading
-Put ingredients for cucumber sauce into a blender or food processor
-Blend on high until everything is combined
-Spray a large skillet with cooking spray over medium-high heat
-Add marinaded chickpeas and sauce to skillet
-Cook 10 minutes, stirring often
-Lower heat to low, cover, cook 5 more minutes until sauce is somewhat thickened
-Toast your pitas, and cut into triangles
-Assemble the salad with your spinach, tomatoes, and cucumbers (bite sized pieces)
-Pour chickpeas over salad, then spoon cucumber sauce over top
-Sprinkle with feta cheese and cilantro
-Serve with pita triangles
This dinner was so good that I'm pretty sure even the biggest meat eaters would love it.  The flavors are incredible, it's easy, cheap and healthy.  This is definitely getting added to the "make again asap" list!

Question of the day -

What are your opinions on meatless dinners?  Is there anything in particular you would like for me to try to make on here?

9 Comments:

At April 21, 2012 at 11:28 AM , Blogger Itsnotjustabouttherecipe said...

Hi Annie! This looks fantastic! And what a great addition to a menu, especially if you're in somewhat of a menu-planning rut (as I appear to be!). Can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing! (The chicken was $10/lb - seriously?!)

 
At April 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM , Blogger Carolyn said...

I love meatless dinner! It's so great :) But, Mitchell misses it sometimes. Can you try to make some "meatless man flavors"? Like bbq, etc. I think he misses that!

 
At April 21, 2012 at 11:02 PM , Anonymous Bloggy Writer said...

This looks healthy and great... yummm.

 
At April 22, 2012 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Carolyn said...

Ha ha I LOVE THIS BLOG! I am addicted dear Annie :)
I had another thought about meatlessness-lowmeatiness.
We've been buying only "happy meat" locally at the market and trying to savor it and make a pound last through a few meals! Can you do a recipe or two that have meat but just a teeny bit? I bought a pork roast yesterday at the market, and holy gamole, it was 25 bucks! Granted it is huge. But, I really want to stretch that sucker as much as possible!

 
At April 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just checking in from Food Buzz. I can't wait to try this - love chickpeas (and your winner winner comment!) Feel free to stop by my blog and say hello! http://wineanddinewithus.wordpress.com. Pam

 
At April 22, 2012 at 4:24 PM , Blogger What's Annie Making? said...

Thanks Stephanie! I was so excited that it turned out this well with the chickpeas. I had to stop myself from eating it so I would have some for lunch the next day. And yes, unfortunately it was $10 a pound! I don't exactly have that kind of cash lying around. For that much money, I'll buy seafood!

 
At April 22, 2012 at 4:25 PM , Blogger What's Annie Making? said...

Thank you! It's such a tasty healthy meal. Let me know what you think if you make it.

 
At April 22, 2012 at 4:28 PM , Blogger What's Annie Making? said...

Oh Carolyn you are too sweet! I'm glad you like it so much. I have fun writing it for you guys too. That's a really great idea for some posts. I'll have to think about it and see what I can come up with. It's always a challenge to stretch money as far as possible these days. I'll try to make it "manly" too ;)

 
At April 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM , Blogger What's Annie Making? said...

Hi Pam! Thanks so much for checking my blog out. I really love this meal a lot and was super excited it turned out as well as it did. Let me know what you think when you try it.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

What's Annie Making?: Chickpea Shawarma Salad

This page has moved to a new address.

Chickpea Shawarma Salad