Tuesday, April 3, 2012

crock pot shredded chicken

Hi friends!  I hope Tuesday is treating you well.  I have been loving the warm weather these days.  It's so nice to be able to run outside without tons of layers, study on my deck, grill out, and take care of our seeds so they can grow into big tall plants.  As much as I love these things, they are really taking a toll on my allergies.  I started noticing that I had allergy issues a few years ago when I was living in Madison.  I took Zyrtec and that seemed to help a ton.  This year they seem to be worse than ever.  I'm super stuffy, can't stop sneezing and my eyes are burning.  I'm a hot mess right now.  I don't know if I'm allergic to more here than I was in Madison, or if they early spring has exastrubated my symptoms, but this stinks.  If anyone has any good allergy relief recommendations I would love to hear them (preferably natural remedies).

I am totally loving my new hair for spring though.  It feels so much lighter and healthier.  Looking back at this picture, I needed it cut badly!  Granted I had been walking mile after mile in a hot humid dome when this was taken.  Still, soooooo much better.
before
right after
final cut and style
Okay, enough pictures of me today... 

This is most certainly not the first shredded crockpot chicken to grace the internet's presence.  It's also not the first one I've made.  It is however, my favorite rendition that I've tried.  It's a little spicy, and the green chiles give it a nice flavor depth.  I love that I can throw everything in the crock pot in the morning (frozen chicken and all) and when I get home from my day it's ready for me.   

Once the chicken is done you can use it in tacos, burritos, nachos, burrito bowls, or my new favorite: baked crunchy burritos (aka - not fried chimichangas)

Crockpot shredded chicken


Ingredients

  • 1 lb frozen chicken breasta
  • 1 14-ounce can no salt added diced tomatoes
  • 1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
  • 1 packet hot/spicy taco seasoning mix
  • 1/2 c water


Directions


-Throw it all on the crock pot
-Cook on low 6 hours
-Use 2 forks to shred the chicken while in crock pot, it should just pull apart

Crunchy burritos


-Preheat oven to 375 degrees
-Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray
-Spoon about 1/2 c chicken into center of tortilla, sprinkle with cheese if desired

-Wrap up burrito, place folded side down onto baking sheet

-Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown
-Sprinkle tops with shredded cheddar, put back in oven 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted
can you tell we like cheese in this house?
-Serve with desired fix ins'
Enjoy on your patio with a large margarita on the side!

Labels:

6 Comments:

At April 3, 2012 at 4:26 PM , Blogger Itsnotjustabouttherecipe said...

Love your hair! And the tacos look fantastic!

 
At April 3, 2012 at 5:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super cute hair hun! And I can't agree with you more on how much I love my crock-pot...it takes all of the work and stree out of cooking and makes some pretty dang delicious tacos (and homemade chicken soup and sloppy joes and pot roast and, well you get the idea lol). I hope you feel better soonly girl! Allergies are def not fun :(

 
At April 4, 2012 at 1:24 PM , Blogger What's Annie Making? said...

Thanks so much! They were so good too. I love dinners that make themselves :)

 
At April 4, 2012 at 1:25 PM , Blogger What's Annie Making? said...

Thanks Wendi! It's really fun to do now too. Another plus of the crock pot - it doesn't heat up the house in the summer! Woo hoo

 
At April 5, 2012 at 8:12 AM , Anonymous Katja said...

Oh my goodness - talk about EASY! I'm really new to crock pot cooking - I only know a couple recipes that turned out well like my Tortilla Soup - where I usually put in 1 or 2 extra chicken breasts to make chicken enchiladas. Looks like with this recipe, I wont have to wait till I make the soup to get that fantastic Mexican flavor for my enchiladas. Thanks for the recipe!

 
At April 6, 2012 at 8:47 AM , Blogger What's Annie Making? said...

Thanks Katja! I just got a crock pot at christmas this year so I haven't used it for too many things yet. My mom cooked a lot in hers when I was growing up so I plan on utiling mine a lot more often for quick dinners like this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

What's Annie Making?: crock pot shredded chicken

This page has moved to a new address.

crock pot shredded chicken