Monday, April 30, 2012

Engagement Anniversary

engagement pictures taken by Something Beautiful Images
Today marks the one year anniversary of Joshua and my engagement.  1 year ago he got down on one knee and asked me if I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him.  To which I'm pretty sure I was crying and so surprised, I barely squeaked out a yes.  

So much has happened in the past year, but I still get just as excited when I think about the fact that I get to spend the rest of my life with my best friend.  It feels like just yesterday we were calling all of our family and friends, and by the end of the night I had no voice left.  Since that day, I've moved (twice), I've started grad school, Joshua got a different job and moved (twice), and we've made countless trips home to see all of our family and friends that are much farther away from us.  Now we are less than a month away from the biggest day of our lives and we are ready to begin our life together.  
I love thinking back to our engagement and reliving that day, so I thought I would share with you how he did it.  If you don't like mushy things, I'm sorry.  Because to me, this was magic.  It was low key and perfect.  

So without further ado, here you go.  Joshua had come up to Madison to spend the weekend with me (we were living 2 hours apart at this point in time).  When he got there on Friday night I was so sick.  I had come down with a terrible cold that morning and all I wanted to do was lay around on the couch and do nothing.  I was supposed to run the Crazylegs 8k race that Saturday morning with my friend BJ, and I was really upset that I was not feeling well.  We spent Friday night in, watching movies and resting so that I would hopefully feel better.  (I found out later that he had wanted to take me out to one of our favorite spots in Madison and pop the question there on Friday but I had shattered that plan, whoops!)

Saturday morning I woke up and still felt terrible.  I put on my running clothes and went outside to see if I thought I could manage running.  I made it 1 block and couldn't breathe.  I was so bummed.  I really wanted to run that race!  I came back inside feeling so defeated.  I took off my running clothes and crawled back into bed for a little bit.  Then Josh came in and suggested that I get up and get ready and we could go take a drive and a little walk.   That getting out and about might make me feel better.  It looked so nice out, so I agreed.

We drove through the arboretum, found a parking spot, and took a little walk.  We were just chatting away, and I'll admit that I did start to feel better.  After we had walked for a ways, we got to the top of a hill and there was this single bench with a beautiful cherry blossom tree behind it that had just started to blossom.  It was the only tree with flowers in the whole place.  We sat on the bench and talked and talked.  It was so beautiful and peaceful.  Nobody else was around.
Then Joshua got out his camera (should have been clue number 1 to me that something was up - he never has his camera with him).  He said we should take some pictures together because we didn't have that many.  He set his camera on a tree a ways away and set a timer on it while I was sitting on the bench.  He pushed the button and ran towards me to get in the shot.  We took 1 picture and he went to check it to see how it turned out.  He adjusted it a little bit, clicked the button, and walked slowly towards me.  I started yelling at him that something was wrong with it.  It wasn't flashing like it should with the timer.  It was just sitting there.  I told him he needed to try again.  He told me it was fine and just kept walking slowly to me on the bench.

He got to where I was sitting, got down on one knee, and I knew.  I started laughing and crying at the same time (and sniffling because my nose was so runny).  He told me that he loved me and I cried harder. He told me long before that that he would not tell me he loved me until he meant it, love to him is forever love.  I told him I loved him too.  He pulled the ring out of his pocket and then he asked if I would marry him.  And I squeaked, "Yes."  We hugged and kissed, laughed and cried, and then he started walking back towards the camera.  He had gotten the whole thing on tape!
Little sneaky, mcsneakster.  He switched the camera to video before he started walking towards me.  That's why it was blinking funny.  So the whole thing (including me yelling at him that it wasn't working, blowing my leaky faucet of a nose, and everything else) was on tape!  We took a few more pictures and then went and called our families and closest friends to tell them the news.

Later that night we hung out with friends and celebrated with them.  It was a truly magical day.  One that I will remember for the rest of my life.
right after I said yes
Note: all pictures are copyright Something Beautiful Images.  If you are in the Madison area and looking for a photographer, you should check Sarah out.  She's fantastic!

4 Comments:

At April 30, 2012 at 3:42 PM , Blogger TinaRBK said...

What a wonderful story. Even though it did not go exactly as planned, I think the arboretum was a better place than a place out on the town (restaraunt?). This is a special time in your life and the next few weeks will fly by. Wish you the best.

 
At April 30, 2012 at 5:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awe!!! That is too cute! Sometimes the plans that aren't followed through lead to an even better result and that girl, was a pretty darn good result ;)

I am sooooo happy and excited for you and your fiance, for what the future holds for the both of you! It is most definitely a blessing to be able to spend your every days and nights with your best friend, your partner and crime, your heart's counterpart--sorry, I'm getting all romcom on you here lol. Enjoy this time hun! And congrats again :)

 
At April 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM , Blogger What's Annie Making? said...

Thank you so much Tina! It really was perfect the way the whole thing worked out. I'm really having fun at this point with the small details and trying not to get too anxious about things.

 
At April 30, 2012 at 10:45 PM , Blogger What's Annie Making? said...

Thanks Wendi! I'm really excited to see what our future holds too. I love me some romcom. Keep it coming girl :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

What's Annie Making?: Engagement Anniversary

This page has moved to a new address.

Engagement Anniversary