Thursday, April 26, 2012

Holy Guacamole

Friends, this is a beautiful thing.  I'm thoroughly convinced that avocados are nature's way of telling us that eating healthy fats is a good thing.  Avocados sometimes get a bad rap because of their high fat content.  I'm not going to get in to all of the nitty gritty details, but suffice it to say that avocados contain monounsaturated fats (good fats) that can help lower cholesterol and lower your risk for heart disease.  They also help you get beautiful shiny hair.  Bonus!  They contain tons of vitamins and minerals too, like potassium - yum!!!!  (if you are curious, here is more great information about avocados)

One of my favorite ways to enjoy avocados is in the form of guacamole.  I feel like ever since I learned how easy this stuff is to make, I've become sort of a guacamole snob.  The best guacamole is made with just a few simple ingredients.  There is no mayonnaise involved.  No chemicals.  That "guacamole dip" that you can buy in the grocery stores, gross.  How in the world can they make that stuff stay bright green forever?  I don't want to know.  What I do know is that the home made stuff is tasty.  With chips, in tacos, on a salad...  And here's how you do it!

Guacamole


Ingredients -

  • 2 ripe avocados (for information about how to tell if your avocados are ripe check this page out)
  • 3 cloves garlic (minced)
  • 1 T lemon juice (lime works great too)
  • 1/2 diced jalapeño
  • 2 T diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/3 c chopped fresh cilantro
Directions - 
- Cut open avocados, remove pits with a spoon, scoop fruit out into bowl
- Mash the avocados with a fork, or potato masher (the latter works a little bit better in my opinion)
-Once you have the consistency you desire (I like mine slightly chunky), add the rest of your ingredients and stir
-Done!  

We ate ours on top of tacos that I made with shredded chicken, corn, and white beans.
(I may have also consumed a whole bunch more with chips after the tacos - What?  I like shiny hair :) )

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At April 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM , Anonymous Faith @ For the Health of It said...

Ugh, that "guac dip" is the worst. Nothing beats real, fresh guacamole!

 
At April 26, 2012 at 8:31 PM , Blogger What's Annie Making? said...

Seriously. The worst. I'm pretty sure it is the only reason more people don't like guacamole. Because that's the only thing they know!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

What's Annie Making?: Holy Guacamole

This page has moved to a new address.

Holy Guacamole